Building Trades Resume
Before you begin writing your building trades resume, make sure that you really want to do this on your own. There are many professional resume writers and resume services you may want to hire to help you. Sometimes their expertise makes all the difference between getting and not getting that first interview.
If you decide to write your own resume, the best place to start is to analyze resume examples that utilize common resume formats. This will give you a good idea of the resume templates being used successfully today to land building trades or construction jobs.
Next, look at building trades and construction-related web sites and publications to help you choose the key words you need to emphasize in your resume so that scanning software used to identify strong job candidates won’t pass you by.
As with other resumes, your first step while preparing a resume for a building trades job should be research on the available positions. Construction and building trades experience can include transferable skills such as departmental coordination and project management, construction management, proposal development, and on-site supervision as well as the more specific skills such as finish carpentry or drywall skills, depending on whether you are a manager, site foreman or laborer.
Avoid the dry, functional, chronological listing of positions held and duties performed by following these general resume-writing suggestions.
Your “objective statement” should be clear-cut and precise. Do not give any descriptive statements. Examples of good objective statements for a construction/building trades job would be: “To obtain a challenging position with commercial development company where I can use both my carpentry and project management skills.”
Make your credentials and your experience stand out in your resume. Decide on what you want the potential employer to take note of. Try to convey your key messages by using specific points. A good example:
- Supervised site work for over 100 subdivision build outs.
- Typical home in excess of 3,000 square feet.
- Prepared budget and cost breakouts for planning board review.
- Met all requirements of site inspectors.
- Supervised general labor, carpentry and drywall workers.
- Worked with General Contractor to estimate projects and develop proposals.
- Managed daily project completion and trades coordination.
Unless the employer asks for a specific skill, take care to list and highlight all the technical skills you're familiar with. Refer to this example.
Core courses attended:
- Construction Management
Related Activities and Interests:
Include additional activities and interests that will give potential employers an idea of your competence as an employee for this construction job, indicating your special areas of expertise. This list may be helpful in highlighting your strengths and talents:
- Honors and Awards
- Computer knowledge
- Language Competencies
- Community Involvement
- Avocations and Interests
- Leadership Activities
- Memberships and College Activities
- Travel or Study Abroad
In addition to these important guidelines for constructing your resume, there are many resume tips plus simple resume formats to follow that will help you compose a great resume. Some of the more important rules are as follows:
- Never write more than two pages.
- Use a format that makes the resume inviting and easy-to-read.
- Think about your accomplishments and make them the focus of the resume
- Tell the truth.
- Use buzzwords and keywords.
- If possible, tailor your resume for a specific job, not just a specific industry.
- Include computer proficiency levels for almost all jobs.
- Ensure all dates link up and leave no suspicious gaps if you are using a chronological format.
- If there are gaps in your work history, use a functional resume format.
- Make sure your cover letter is as good as your resume.
- Practice your job interview skills.
- Don’t forget to follow-up with a thank-you note.
Finally, click on building trades jobs to find suggestions of specific web sites and resume posting and submission services where you can submit your resume.