Senior Executive Resume
Before you begin writing your executive resume, make sure that you really want to do this on your own. There are many professional resume writers and resume services you may want to hire to help you. Sometimes their expertise makes all the difference between getting and not getting that first interview.
If you decide to write your own resume, the best place to start is to analyze resume examples that utilize common resume formats. This will give you a good idea of the resume templates being used successfully today to land executive-level jobs.
Next, look at web sites and publications in the industries you have targeted. Doing so will help you choose the key words you need to emphasize in your resume so that scanning software used to identify strong job candidates won’t pass you by.
Executive resumes demand extra attention to detail because executives demand high paying jobs, so it is logical to assume you need to present a high level competence at the outset. The executive resume is the first impression of the future executive. It needs to command attention by its professional presentation. If not, even the most experienced talented executive won't get a job interview. Check out some executive resume examples prior to building yours to insure your resume will be an icebreaker, not paper recycler!
- Never write more than two pages.
- Use a format that makes the resume inviting and easy-to-read.
- Think about your accomplishments and make them the focus of the resume
- Tell the truth.
- Use buzzwords and keywords.
- If possible, tailor your resume for a specific job, not just a specific industry.
- Include computer proficiency levels for almost all jobs.
- Ensure all dates link up and leave no suspicious gaps if you are using a chronological format.
- If there are gaps in your work history, use a functional resume format.
- Make sure your cover letter is as good as your resume.
- Practice your job interview skills.
- Don’t forget to follow-up with a thank-you note.
Finally, click on resume posting and submission services where you can submit your resume.
You can also click here to see an example of a senior executive resume